Who needs to complete a self-assessment tax return?

Not everyone needs to complete a tax return. If your tax affairs are straightforward you may already pay all of the tax due on your earnings or pensions through your tax code.

But if you have earnings that are not being taxed – for example buy-to-let property income – then even if not requested to by HMRC, you are obliged by law to declare these earnings.

There are certain circumstances in which you will always need to complete a tax return, for example if you are:

  • self-employed,
  • a company director,
  • receiving foreign income.

For most people, self-assessment is relatively straightforward and is something that they can deal with personally, but if your affairs are more complex, or, if you’d rather an accountant prepare this, or are looking for tax-planning opportunities, then we can offer a service to meet your needs.

Fees for a self-assessment return start from £125 + VAT, dependent on the complexity of your affairs.

Please get in touch to discuss your personal circumstances and we will be happy to give you a no-obligation, fixed-fee quote.